News Digital Editor
The WUSF Public Media Digital Editor is a journalism leader who thrives among a highly motivated team of reporters and producers in a multimedia newsroom. The successful candidate will develop, guide and manage the WUSF News daily digital reporting, serving and engaging our audience where and when they need the news. The WUSF News Digital Editor encourages a culture of collaboration, bringing out the best in journalists on media platforms including social, web, and broadcast.
WUSF Public Media is a division of the University Communications and Marketing department consisting of three strategic business units; WUSF 89.7, WSMR and IntellisMedia. WUSF Public Media serves the university by providing the community with news, information and entertainment programming that informs and enriches their daily lives and is engaged in educational work in the community. WUSF Public Media provides students with learning and personal growth opportunities through formal classes and internships and informal hands-on experiences.
The digital news editor will serve as the leader and advocate for WUSF Public Media's day-to-day digital news coverage and workflow. This person will be team player, who guides the digital news generated by staff reporters and producers, NPR and member-station partners, and news services. Drawing from platforms including social media, web, broadcasts, and emerging media, this position will direct short-and-long-term digital editorial coverage for WUSF News, focused on core coverage areas. The digital news editor serves as the newsroom lead to the CMS, manages editorial workflow and ensures that all reporters and producers know how to make the most of their online content in a real-time environment. This position is responsible for seeing that all written content on the WUSF News site is engaging, accurate, grammatically sound, optimized for search and social, and reflects NPR and WUSF Public Media's journalism ethics and standards.
The digital news editor reports to the news director and oversees digital news producers and social media news staff. The editor works closely with the Health News Florida Editor on the daily newsletter and the intern coordinator to manage WUSF's digital news interns. The digital editor also works with professional news staff to ensure that the online journalism produced for WUSF's audience is done so consistently and reliably. This person serves as the main liaison with WUSF's digital services department.
- Sets and manages the quality of online news, including stories, videos, photos, headlines, social media posts and newsroom newsletters, ensuring that the content reflects WUSF News style and standards. Also writes original stories when needed that reflect WUSF News style and standards.
- Manages daily workflow of news using NPR Core Publisher and WordPress-based CMS, including management of breaking news coverage. In breaking news situations, aids in the production of an initial online draft of a story, pulling content from press releases, social media, reporters in the field and other areas.
- Attends daily and long-term planning meetings, serving as digital news advocate and promoting use of data visualization, video and photo, mapping graphics and audio extras. Edits staff on-line features and long-term projects. Help staff Edits staff online features and long-term projects. Helps staff use best headline writing and editing practices to create opportunities in search optimization and clickthrough
- Oversees and guides news content delivered on social media that engages with the WUSF audience on multiple digital platforms, including Twitter and Instagram and Facebook. Also leads news initiatives involving Facebook Live or other live video.
- Serves as newsroom liaison to WUSF Digital Services, ensuring a consistent line of communication for planning and marketing purposes.
This position requires a Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Public Broadcasting or Communications and three
to five years of experience related to Journalism, Communications and/or Public Broadcasting; or a Master's degree in the fields listed above and two years of experience related to Journalism, Communications and/or Public Broadcasting.
Experience reporting, editing and managing within online journalism is preferred, as is an understanding of public media. Experience with WordPress CMS and SEO is preferred, as is understanding of using analytics. General knowledge of applying Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to work in media.
This position is subject to a Level 1 criminal background check.
To apply for any position, you must first visit USF's employment website at: https://www.usf.edu/work-at-usf/careers/index.aspx. Once there, please follow the instructions and click on the "Access Careers @ USF" under "Find a Job at USF." Once there, under Keywords, please type WUSF. A list of open positions will appear and click on the APPLY button of the position you are interested in. Only online applications are accepted for this position.
WUSF Public Media is a division of the University Communications and Marketing department
consisting of three strategic business units; WUSF 89.7, WSMR and IntellisMedia. WUSF Public
Media serves the university by providing the community with news, information and entertainment
programming that informs and enriches their daily lives and is engaged in educational work in the
community. WUSF Public Media provides students with learning and personal growth opportunities
through formal classes and internships and informal hands-on experiences.
The University of South Florida System is a high-impact, global research system dedicated to student success. The USF System includes three institutions: USF; USF St. Petersburg; and USF Sarasota-Manatee. The institutions are separately accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. All institutions have distinct missions and their own detailed strategic plans. Serving over 48,000 students, the USF System has an annual budget of $1.6 billion and an annual economic impact of $4.4 billion. USF is a member of the American Athletic Conference.
To learn more about working at USF please visit: Work Here. Learn Here. Grow Here.
How to Claim Veteran's Preference:
This position allows eligible veterans and their spouses to claim Veterans’ Preference pursuant to Florida Statute 295.
Applicants claiming preference are responsible for providing required documentation AT THE TIME OF SUBMITTING APPLICATION; such documentation is required for eligibility determination.
Supporting documentation, in addition to the DD214, may be required based on eligibility criteria. If you are submitting a DD 214, please ensure the social security number and date of birth is redacted/removed.
For information on obtaining a DD 214 visit http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/ or call 1-866-272-6272.