q with Tom Power
Monday - Friday 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM on WUSF 89.7
Tom Power is an award-winning musician and broadcaster who hosts the national arts & entertainment program q on CBC Radio One. Hailing from St. John's, Newfoundland, Tom started his career programming folk music on college radio while pursuing a B.A in Folklore from Memorial University. Tom quickly moved on to become a news announcer for a local radio station and in 2008, at the age of 21, he joined CBC as the host of the national folk music program Deep Roots. He was recognized as the youngest host of a national radio program on the CBC since Peter Jennings.
In 2011, Tom was announced as the permanent host of Radio 2 Morning, the flagship national music program heard... Read More...
- May 18: q This breaks down what to expect from the Indigenous Music Awards
ShoShona Kish of Digging Roots and Ian Campeau, formerly of A Tribe Called Red, join guest host Angeline Tetteh-Wayoe to discuss tonight's Indigenous Music Awards.
- May 18: Gwenno's new Cornish psych-pop album celebrates her cultural identity
Gwenno discusses her second solo album, Le Kov, which is sung entirely in Cornish — an old Gaelic language understood by only 600 people today.
- May 18: From AC/DC to Jennifer Lopez: William Prince pays tribute to Peguis First Nation in his q block party
In this edition of the q block party, Canadian singer-songwriter William Prince shares a playlist of songs that remind him of his hometown, the Peguis First Nation in Manitoba.
- May 18: Famed choreographer Laurieann Gibson on her new Lifetime series Beyond the Spotlight
Canadian choreographer Laurieann Gibson has worked with the likes of Lady Gaga and Beyoncé. She explains how it all started for her in her hometown of Toronto.
- Full episode: Laurieann Gibson, q This, William Prince, Gwenno 18/05/2018
Canadian choreographer Laurieann Gibson, who's worked with the likes of Lady Gaga and Beyoncé, talks about her new Lifetime series Beyond the Spotlight. ShoShona Kish and Ian Campeau of our q This music panel discuss what to expect from tonight's Indigenous Music Awards. Canadian singer-songwriter William Prince presents a q block party dedicated to his hometown, the Peguis First Nation in Manitoba. Musician Gwenno discusses her second solo album, which is sung entirely in Cornish.
- Full episode: Paul Nolan, Bishop Briggs, gateway to techno, Jordan Klepper 17/05/2018
Canadian Broadway star Paul Nolan talks about his new role in the Jimmy Buffett musical Escape to Margaritaville. Musician Bishop Briggs explains how she got her start in a Tokyo karaoke bar. Music producer Paul Kalkbrenner presents a q gateway to techno music. Political comedian Jordan Klepper discusses the satirical persona he plays on his show The Opposition with Jordan Klepper.
- May 17: Broadway stalwart Paul Nolan takes on the jukebox musical in Escape to Margaritaville
Canadian theatre actor Paul Nolan talks about his new role in the Jimmy Buffett musical Escape to Margaritaville, now on Broadway.
- May 17: Comedian Jordan Klepper on his show The Opposition and his brand of political satire
Political comedian Jordan Klepper joins guest host Ali Hassan to discuss the satirical persona he plays on his show The Opposition with Jordan Klepper.
- May 17: Producer Paul Kalkbrenner presents a q gateway to techno music
In this q gateway to techno music, producer Paul Kalkbrenner shares some of his favourite songs and attempts to define techno for us.
- May 16: Rising star Julian Dennison reveals how he was handpicked by Ryan Reynolds to co-star in Deadpool 2
The 15-year-old actor from New Zealand talks to Tom Power about starring opposite Ryan Reynolds in Deadpool 2.