q with Tom Power
Monday - Friday 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM on WUSF 89.7
Tom Power is an award-winning musician and broadcaster who hosts the national arts & entertainment program q on CBC Radio One. Hailing from St. John's, Newfoundland, Tom started his career programming folk music on college radio while pursuing a B.A in Folklore from Memorial University. Tom quickly moved on to become a news announcer for a local radio station and in 2008, at the age of 21, he joined CBC as the host of the national folk music program Deep Roots. He was recognized as the youngest host of a national radio program on the CBC since Peter Jennings.
In 2011, Tom was announced as the permanent host of Radio 2 Morning, the flagship national music program heard... Read More...
- March 20: Laakkuluk Williamson Bathory's musical tribute to Iqaluit
Mask dancer and visual artist Laakkuluk Williamson Bathory picks songs that remind her of her home of Iqaluit.
- March 20: Judd Apatow dives deep into the legacy of his mentor, the late Garry Shandling
Apatow talks about his latest project, a documentary about the life and legacy of the late legendary comedian Garry Shandling.
- March 20: 'I still got a long way to go': Daniel Caesar on reaching success and what keeps him grounded
The Oshawa-raised singer-songwriter sits down with us ahead of the 2018 Junos to talk about what it feels like to finally reach that thing he's always wanted to achieve.
- Full episode: Judd Apatow, Laakkuluk Williamson Bathory, Daniel Caesar 20/03/2018
Producer, writer and director Judd Apatow discusses his latest project, a documentary about his friend and mentor, the late Garry Shandling. Mask dancer and visual artist Laakkuluk Williamson Bathory picks songs that remind her of her home of Iqaluit. Singer-songwriter Daniel Caesar talks about reaching success, what keeps him grounded and what it's like being compared to other big Toronto names like Drake and The Weeknd.
- March 19: The votes are in for CBC Music's Searchlight 2018
After receiving over 2,000 submissions to CBC Music's 2018 Searchlight competition, its three celebrity judges have declared singer-songwriter and hip-hop artist aquakultre as the winner.
- March 19: 'There's pride in being from here': Jessie Reyez on her breakout year and Toronto's musical renaissance
The Juno-nominated artist talks about her personal highlights from the last year and the recent shine Toronto artists have been getting in the pop mainstream.
- March 19: Bill Hader on how HBO's Barry mirrors his own life's journey to finding his passion
In Barry, Hader plays a hitman for hire who discovers his real passion is acting. He talks about his role and directorial debut.
- March 19: Remembering Mike MacDonald, a Canadian comedy icon
Mike MacDonald, a Canadian stand-up comedian and actor, died March 17, 2018. He was 62. Canadian comedian Brent Butt joins us to talk about him.
- March 19: American Idol is back, but do audiences still care about reality TV talent shows?
The q screen panel discusses the new American Idol reboot on ABC, which is already stirring up some controversy.
- Full episode: Bill Hader, Brent Butt, Jessie Reyez, Searchlight 2018 announcement, q screen panel 19/03/2018
Actor and comedian Bill Hader talks about his new HBO series Barry. Corner Gas star and creator Brent Butt remembers his friend, the late Mike MacDonald. Juno-nominated artist Jessie Reyez talks about her breakout year and hometown pride. Tom Power announces the winner of Searchlight 2018. The q screen panel's John Semley and Amanda Parris break down the big stories in film and television news.