The Heart of Scotland Tour
Join WUSF for a magnificent journey to Scotland
Join WUSF for a magnificent journey to the Highlands of Scotland and lovely Edinburgh at its finest this August!
We visit fabled ruined castles and baronial mansions which tell a story of rebellion, highland clearances and rivalry between Clans. We visit battlefields and fields of betrayal, like Culloden and Glencoe, and discover ancient spiritual sites, Kilmartin’s standing stones and the ecumenical Abbey of Iona.
We delve into the culture and traditions of Scots today, their whisky, pipes and reels, so famous around the globe. With expert guides, we will visit the great castles of Cawdor, with its Macbeth association; Dunrobin, one of the largest estates in Britain and a fabulous falconry display, and we are invited to lunch at Inveraray Castle, home of the Duke of Argyll. And we host our very own evenings of dancing and music. In Edinburgh, one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, you attend the famed Royal Military Tattoo as well as the fabulous Fireworks to live orchestral music that closes the Festival.
Along the way we will sample the finest food Scotland has to offer, which may surprise you: Angus beef from Aberdeen and oysters from Loch Fyne, haggis in the Highlands, home-smoked salmon washed down with French wines, and a wee dram or two of the best single malts.
Deluxe accommodations await us throughout the trip: in the Highlands, we take over two fine manor houses, while in Edinburgh, the deluxe Principal Hotel on George Street, ideally located in New Town. Beat the Florida heat with this bonnie trip to one of the richest cultural destinations in the world!
August 17 - 28, 2018*
WUSF Program Director Sheila Rue:
WUSF Program Director Sheila Rue is your host as we travel from the haunting moors and shores of the north east, through the Great Glenn and mysterious Loch Ness, to the rugged mountains and mystic isles of the west coast, then on to explore Edinburgh and join the celebrations at the world-renowned Edinburgh Festival.
*Tour begins August 18 in Edinburgh.
- Tours of major sites and travel in two beautiful regions of the Scottish Highlands plus Edinburgh, including the castles of Cawdor, Dunrobin, Inverary, and Edinburgh, Holyrood Palace, National Portrait Gallery and others
- Boat ride on Loch Ness with the historic Jacobite Queen
- Boat excursion to the islands of Mull, Iona and Staffa by ferry and private boat, weather permitting
- Gondola ride in the Nevis Range, among the highest mountains in the British Isles
- Admission to the Oban Highland Games
- Prime tickets to the Royal Military Tattoo and Fireworks Concert at the Edinburgh Festival, and optional orchestral concert at the Festival
- Fine local food and continental wines, and a private whiskey tasting
- Deluxe accommodations at 4-star hotels and manor houses
- Free time for hiking, relaxing, and further sight-seeing
Tour Cost: $5690, ground only, based on double occupancy. Tour limited to 25 participants.
The WUSF Scotland tour is organized by THE GRAND TOUR Travel Company,
Peterborough, New Hampshire.